Climate Change the Hot TopicSeptember 29, 2021
Aside from COVID, the hottest topic raised by community and stakeholders alike is climate change.
Even before the IPCC this month issued a Code Red for humanity, ordinary folk were issuing their own concerns and seeking guidance and leadership.
Even in communities where unemployment is high, or housing affordability is a challenge, climate change is emerging as a key topic during city-wide engagement processes.
Let’s be clear, this is not in response to a questionnaire about climate change. These are issues community members are raising. From the urban areas to the farms, from the coast to the bush.
And here are the common topics:
How can we deal with urban heat island effects?
- How can we redesign our streets and our suburbs to get more trees and less concrete?
- Will we have enough water?
- What are the things we need to do now that cannot wait until 2030 or 2050?
- Why aren’t we doing more to convert our waste into energy?
- How will my animals cope during hotter days?
For our engagement and communication friends, here are the phrases being used by the community. By using them we are more able to connect in the common vernacular:
- Extreme weather events
- Storms and flooding
- Heat waves
- Water supply
Want to discuss this further? Contact us at email@example.com