Crisis communication and media training
Upcoming course information
Contact us today to discuss your needs.
When a disaster or crisis strikes, how and what you communicate next can help make all the difference.
As the saying goes, it takes years to build a reputation but only minutes to destroy it.
Knowing what to say and do in a crisis is not just a spur-of-the-moment decision. Planning for potential disasters or issues ahead of time can help you get back to business sooner, and even improve your organisation’s reputation over the long term.
This course helps organisations and businesses to prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. We help you develop the right processes to help you get through the crisis, and share our best tips for making sure your crisis communications are effective. You’ll learn how to best communicate with all stakeholders both internally and externally, from customers and the general public to suppliers, industry and the media.
Our trainers are former journalists, so they know how the media works. They’ll share their experience and provide practical advice on dealing with the traditional media and social media. You’ll run through practical crisis scenarios, learn how to craft messages and how to deliver them simulating live media experiences.
By the end of this course, you’ll:
- ^ Understand practical crisis communication skills to manage a crisis
- ^Know how to communicate successfully both internally and externally
- ^Feel more confident dealing with the media
- ^Know how to communicate with stakeholders including customers, clients, staff, suppliers and the media)
- ^Have access to communication and social media crisis messages and templates
- ^ Know what to do and say to manage your organisation’s reputation in a crisis
Best-practice theory alongside tools and practice. You’ll:
- ^Explore best practice crisis communication techniques
- ^ Practice – and practice using them
- ^Know what steps to take to prepare for, respond to and recover from disasters
Who is this course for?
This course is for government and business leaders and representatives as well as small businesses owners and industry bodies. It caters for both novice and experienced spokespeople to hone their skills when communicating in a crisis or interacting with the media.
This course is delivered in person. Courses can be tailored to individuals or groups, ranging from 3 hours to all-day sessions depending on the number of participants.
- ^In-person workshops or
- ^Online delivery using Zoom (you can join online and don’t need to install anything)
We take participants through practical crises to show them how to communicate with all stakeholders and what to say.
The course is accepted as a pre-approved activity for councils that can be funded under Get Ready Queensland funding.
What makes this different?
- ^Practical scenarios that equip you to handle real-life crises
- ^Learn how to use best practice crisis communication strategies
- ^Access communication tips and resources to cover a multitude of potential crises from workplace emergencies to reputational issues
- ^Based on training delivered to disaster impacted regions across the state.
How to register
Contact us today to discuss your needs. We will then prepare a proposal based on the content you need, number of participants, and location. Note that we are highly experienced in delivering online sessions, and they can be more cost effective for smaller groups.
Are your numbers small? Ask us about joining a group that we organise.
Sue is an award-winning communications specialist with more than 20 years’ experience. A former media adviser to the British Chancellor, communications agency director and Courier-Mail journalist, Sue’s expertise in crisis communications, media relations and disaster management is highly sought after.
She developed Australia’s first comprehensive online Small Business Disaster Hub and award-winning crisis communication toolkits for a range of industries including tourism, small business, health and finance. She trains at every level across a range of sectors including tourism, emergency services, finance, small business, infrastructure, law, non-profit, government, mining and planning.
Articulous Academy Alumni
All our course graduates are invited to join the AAA! Watch your email in the days after the course for your invitation.
Articulous Academy Alumni is growing group and you receive special goodies:
- ^Monthly email with a detailed case study that you can learn from and apply to your own practice
- ^Early notice and special pricing for all our courses
- ^A quarterly webinar on engagement hot topics
- ^priority access and special pricing for group coaching
- ^And more – we're planning new goodies all the time!