Ten ways to engage with young peopleOctober 13, 2021
If you want fresh thinking and innovation, then you need to engage young people.
We’ve run Australia’s first youth summit on climate change initiated by a Council, and engaged thousands of students through travelling shows, and ran a curated film competition. We’ve even developed games and apps to engage them. There’s nothing more uplifting than engaging young people.
Here’s our top 10 tips
- Get digital
- Jump into FB, YouTube and Insta
- Gamify it
- Get active. Get to the sports fields, the schools, the movies, and the uni halls
- Change your tone. It’s ok to drop the earnest tone. You can still be serious with a joke.
- Publish more frequently with fewer words
- Make it fun.
- Don’t talk down or patronise. And ask a young people to watch you to make sure you don’t accidentally slip into grumpy old person-mode.
- Find your funny bone. Seriously.
- Get a scooter – ok that’s not some new engagement technique. That’s humour to check if you got number 9!
Want to discuss youth engagement for your project? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org