Aahh, summer at work; cricket on in the background, more casual clothing is acceptable… Actually that may just be me, but nonetheless it’s generally accepted that January is a more relaxed time of work than other months in the year. However this doesn’t mean that you can’t be productive, even without the pressure of a more hectic deadline. Here are a few tips I have learnt along the way to make the most of the quieter period:
- Do the things that you naturally put off. For me that is paperwork and processes. There is no better time to get those things in order.
- Have an independent person analyze your communications or engagement program/s. We know it’s quieter so take some time to ensure you are on the right track and review your activity in line with best practice. IAP2 has also just released its standards of practice for practitioners which provides a timely reminder to review your strategic approach to engagement.
- Book in the training courses you have been putting off. January is a great time to book in training for the rest of the year, before your key people’s diaries fill up.
- If it is a bit quieter, talk with your team and encourage them to take a break. The rest of the year will be busy enough to make up for it, I’m sure.
- Above all, have a safe and happy summer break and make sure you spend some quality time with the ones you love.